Thursday, April 15, 2010

Dealing with Difficult Patrons

We have had a few difficult patrons here lately, and I am sorry to say that we will have more. I have tried to locate some information on the best ways to deal with a difficult patrons, so here are some tips that I found and some that I use.

1. Remain calm. Someone in the situation has to be the "adult".

2. Remember... it is really never about you! You just happen to be in their blast range.

3. Look concerned and nod occasionally. Don't argue with them... it creates a cycle that will escalate.

4. Repeat their complaint back to them without making judgement. They need to know that you understand their problem.

5. Ask questions.

6. Do not raise your voice to them. Speak in a slow, evenly controlled tone of voice.

7. Apologize and let them know you will try to get them some help.

8. Get a supervisor.

To read more about dealing with difficult customers go to: http://ezinearticles.com/?Dealing-With-Difficult-Customers&id=85935

Peggy and I are here to back you up. Don't hesitate to get us, and if for some reasong we are not here, get Jennifer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Circulation!

Check this page daily to find out news and events happening in the department.

Everyone is encouraged to use this forum to communicate.