Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Wow! Welcome to a super, duper busy Fall semester!

It is busy! A new semester has started, and the students are all back!

Thanks to all of you for being you! I know there is a lot of confusion due to the horrible parking situation, and many of you are having to walk from the football field or the baseball field. Not that I want you to drag in, but I don't want to you get stressed out if you are running a few minutes late. Next week things will begin to calm down and parking, although will still be horrible, I think will get better. Everyone will have adjusted to their new schedules and will know what time they need to leave their dorm or apartment to get here on time.

Just a few reminders:

1. Please do not allow your friends to hang out at the circulation desk. You will be surprised how many people will not approach the desk to ask for help if they see you visiting with your friends. You can tell them hello, but then send them on their way.

2. There should be NO cell phones at the circulation desk. We've discussed placing a tray on the back counter for your cell phones which may happen if they show up at the desk.

3. You do get a break. If you want/need one just ask. I'm happy to watch the desk for you while you eat lunch or get a coffee. :)

4 hours = 15 minute break
5+ hours = 30 minute lunch/or two 15 minute breaks at least 2 hours apart.

4. If you change your schedule, please let Ginger and me know, so we can adjust as needed. Don't forget if you need time off to post it to the trade board.

5. Please listen for the gate alarm. We have a lot of new students, and they are not familiar with our policies and procedures. I know it's a little uncomfortable asking if they have anything from the library, but it is something we must do. Many times it is just a stuffie that has slid out of the pocket, or they are using it as a bookmark. If they do have book, just scan it under the "check item status" icon. This will let you know if it is checked out or not. If it says "route to stacks" it isn't checked out.

6. Always, always feel free to ask questions! Most days I have lunch in the ILLiad area, I'm always happy to come to the front and help out. I'm here to back you up, and Ginger, Kym, Kelsie, and Jennifer all feel the same.

7. If someone has a question about ILLiad either get Kelsie or me. Let's make sure they are getting the best information from the correct source.

8. Also, if someone stops by the desk and asks if we have a certain book or that they need help with research --- send them to the reference desk! The best way to help someone is to get them to the people who can help them the best.

Thanks so much for all you do!

YOU DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Circulation!

Check this page daily to find out news and events happening in the department.

Everyone is encouraged to use this forum to communicate.