Thursday, June 30, 2016

New shelving flags, and some tips for shelving correctly. :) :) :)

You may have noticed the new shelving flags -- I hope that you like them. It dawned on me that it would be easier to use something other than initials on the flags. Duh! Why didn't I think of it sooner?? Oh well! Live and learn!

You may pick the animal that you want, and when the others return they, unfortunately, will get the leftovers. I'm totally okay if you switch though. Just let Ginger or me know what's going on.

While pulling flags the other day I noticed that there were quite a few errors in shelving which generally was caused by not understanding the decimal in the call number. Below I have a few pictures of actual mistakes and an arrow showing the correct placement of the books.

Example 1



Some of the time the decimal point is included in the call number label, but sometimes it isn't. It is always understood to be there though.

The incorrectly placed book has a call number of:

HV8073          it should read          HV 8073
F58                                                 .F58

The second line should read as a decimal. Think of it as .58 cents. The yellow arrow shows the correct placement of the book.


Although the .525 seems bigger that ..53 it isn't if you look at the number line above.


Look at the examples below.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Circulation!

Check this page daily to find out news and events happening in the department.

Everyone is encouraged to use this forum to communicate.